Catalog: VKJK 1718
Format: COMPACT DISC
After the old Uebigau Organ, which was built after the devastating fire in the town in 1681 as part of the subsequent reconstruction of the church, had been extensively repaired in 1771, the Parish of Uebigau sent a letter to Conrad Geissler in 1891 with a request, “ to undertake the construction of a new organ for the local church.” The then already 66-year-old organ builder from Eilenburg had gained an excellent reputation from the organs he had previously built, by then 105 in number. In 1895 the new organ was tested and accepted. As Opus 114, it is a typical instrument of its builder, with mechanical slide chest, solid, perfected construction, fully developed diapason pipes, a strong, vigorous and full-bodied plenum sound, and a basic number of characteristic romantic and warm sounds. 18 stops are spread over two manuels and pedal. The instrument has since been preserved without major interventions. The programme recorded here is based primarily on the Central German provenance of the organ and its builder Conrad Geissler and the existing technical capabilities of the instrument. The selected composers form, as it were, a cross-section of central German culture of the mid-19th century.